Sunday, January 4, 2009

Willy Billy

Years ago my dad and I started trying out online poker. He signed on with a PokerStars account and started playing for play chips. They give you 1,000 to start and it’s an excellent way to learn the mechanics of online poker, and the basics of whatever game you choose to play. My dad is an excellent player and quickly built the 1,000 chips into millions.

Eventually we both gravitated toward real money; often he would return to play money tournaments to fill time. I made a return to the play money as well, but it was in the Ring Games. I experienced quite a lot of fun playing with friends at these tables. The problem with these tables is that if you have no friends there, it’s not really fun. The chips mean nothing to any of the players. Some of them have a sense of pride that comes with winning. Some of them are genuinely trying to play good poker. But for the most part, it’s a Donk-fest.

Lately I’ve experienced new life at these tables, as I have joined my dad (WldWilly) and uncle (WatsonWE) at a few of these games. What’s more fun than bluffing the pants off of your dad? Nothing, that’s what. My dad’s friend Richard joins us once in a while. It’s great to razz each other on the table. It is even more fun to jump on someone else’s case when they pick on one of us, not knowing that we have friends at the table. One of the best parts about these tables is that you can try out different strategies. I’ve been using Daniel Negreanu’s small ball strategy lately. It’s good to get practice to somewhat prepare me (especially in regards to discipline) for what I’ll see at real money tables. I can do this with absolutely no risk. Since starting these games up again, I’ve won about $14 playing at the .05/.10 level at the real money tables over three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment